6.05.2008

TRYING TO BE GREEN

So, I have been trying to be greener (I don't want to be a granola tree hugger by any means) but I would like to do better.

I haven't done a lot to be green, mostly because I am not very knowledgeable in that field, but we have done a couple of things:

*We gave up on bottled water. Americans drink about 167 bottles of water each year, but only recycle an average of 23 percent of those. That leaves 38 billion water bottles in landfills every year. AND plastic bottles take 700 years before they begin to decompose in a landfill.
*I don't use paper plates, bowls or cups anymore. It's unnecessary to fill up a landfill when I can wash my own dishes!!
*I just started watching the new Planet Green channel. (It has great shows and HILARIOUS commercials) Go HERE to find out what channel it is on in your area. I can't wait to learn more! Today they even went organic wine tasting...that's my kind of organic!!
*We eat mostly organic food, almond milk, almond cheese, etc.
*And my most exciting feat yet...I just signed up with Spanish Fork City to RECYCLE!!!!! We fill up TWO garbage cans a week with GaRbAgE and it makes me sick, so I am replacing 1 garbage can with a nifty new **GREEN** one. If you live in Spanish Fork, go HERE and hop on the recycling wagon!!

That's all for now. But, I am going to continue watching the Planet Green channel and give everyone a *GREEN TIP* once a week! I would also LOVE it if you could pass on any tips or something you do to be green!!!!!!

3 comments:

*Welcome To Crazy* said...

You don't use paper plates, etc. anymore?!? How do you manage that with Ryder? We need to get together one of these days. Maybe we'll have to come steal your kids and go to seven peaks or something!!

Burgie's said...

Tiffany,
It was great to hear from you. Since my parents left we have lost contact with everyone. I am so glad you looked at my blog. Your little girl is a doll. I can make any color you would like. I can make it as long or as short as you would like. They start out at $25.00 and go from there. I will put prices on my blog soon. I am doing a big booth on the 4th of July and a bow party in Utah in July so I have been busy getting ready. I would love to make her one. Just let me know what color or colors and I need her waist size. They do stretch a little so they should last for a bit as she grows. You can email me at stacy@citywidefunding.com. or you can call me at 208-403-2997. It was great to hear from you.
Stacy

nicky said...

Tiffany I am so proud of you for giving up the paper plates...you are awesome. I agree about the plastic bottles they are a nightmare. I also love the Planet Green channel! I love that the Spanish Fork recycling program sounds great. I love that they sort it for you. Last night I found this in the Williams Sonoma catalog http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/5898903/index.cfm?cm_src=rel
It is an electric composter that you keep it your kitchen. You add baking soda and sawdust pellets to your kitchen scraps and it makes compost. Such a long post sorry.